What is required for a foreigner to buy shares in a Nigerian company

Foreign ownership of shares in a Nigerian company

When a foreigner buys equity (shares) in a Nigerian company, there are broadly two things required – the share transfer must be registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission, and the fact of foreign ownership must be registered with the Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission.

Please note that there may be other registrations required based on the nature of your business, for instance if in a financial services regulated company, the regulator might require you to register any change in ownership.

The above information is for instances where a foreigner is buying shares in an already existing company. You can find out about the process for a foreigner to start a company in Nigeria in our article here – 5 steps to registering a foreign owned company in Nigeria


Thank you for reading this article, we hope you have found it useful. If you have please share with your network using one of the share buttons below.


Request a Legal Assessment


We hope you have found this information helpfulPlease note that this information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. It is not intended to substitute for the advice of a qualified lawyer. If you require legal advice, please consult with a qualified lawyer.

error: Content is protected !!