Answered Closed


I am a newly wed. My husband family and mine have the same surname which means that my surname would not change. Do I need to do a change of name from Miss to Mrs?

Thank you

Best Answer


Thank you for contacting us.

You do not need to change your name from Miss to Mrs, as this is a change of ‘title’ and not a change of name. This would be the same, if you completed a doctoral degree. You would not have to change your name from ‘Mrs/Miss’ to ‘Dr’.

You will still need to change your marital details on your passport, bank details etc. However, your marriage certificate should be adequate proof of your change in title.

We hope you have found this information helpful. It is our advice that before you take any steps, you should engage the services of a competent and qualified lawyer. If you have trouble contacting one, you may inform us and we can recommend a lawyer to you.

Please note that the above information is general and should not be taken as legal advice with respect to your personal circumstances. No lawyer-client relationship is created. The foregoing does not do away with the need to engage the services of a lawyer should you wish to get more information, or to take the matter further.

If you have enjoyed using our platform, please consider leaving a review here –

NB – You may also subscribe to our newsletter to get legal updates and articles in your inbox weekly –

Showing 1 result