Answered Closed

Dear Advisor,
recently, I was informed that a certain party required my services to resolve laptop issues and that the party will contact me with the necessary details. This occurred and we agreed on a time to meet for a preliminary examination of the laptop.

On meeting with the party, I was asked to focus on procuring a battery as the battery was faulty. The laptop was given to me without it been powered up in my presence and after looking for a battery which was unavailable, I returned the laptop to the party.

The next day, the party informed me that I had damaged and vandalised the laptop. I made several efforts to cause a repair to the alleged damage but was rebuffed by the party who proceeded to seize a laptop I had brought with me to assist with repairing whatever damage may have happened to the laptop while in my possession though I doubt the allegation.

What course of action at law may I pursue to regain possession of the laptop which was seized from me?

Yours Faithfully,

Best Answer

Thank you for your question, from what you have explained it would appear the issue is a criminal one, and your best step would be to report the case to the police. If they have ‘seized’ your laptop without your consent, then a case may be made for theft and apart from the criminal issue, there is a potential civil issue and a case may be made for ‘conversion’ in the law of Tort.

We however advise that the first step you should take is to report the matter at the police station, at the very least the police would recover the laptop from the other party and then keep it in their possession pending the resolution of the issue.

We hope you have found this information helpful. Please note that this information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. It is not intended to substitute for the advice of a qualified lawyer. If you require legal advice, please consult with a qualified lawyer.

Showing 1 result