Answered Closed

I was linked to a lawyer to help with my divorce 6 yrs ago. I was only present at court once and he carried out the rest without me till I was issued a decree nisi and decree absolute.

I’m married again and I need a certified copy. How can I be sure if the copies he gave to me are real as he won’t respond to me since I’ve been asking him about a certified copy and what are the risks to my new marriage?


Best Answer


Thank you for contacting us.

You may ask another lawyer to confirm that the divorce was completed properly. The lawyer will do this by conducting a search at the Court which you purportedly got the divorce from and will obtain a certified true copy of the judgment. Please note that if your previous wedding is still valid because the divorce was never properly finalised, then your current marriage is not valid, as you are unable to marry another person if you are still married to someone else.

We hope you have found this information helpful. Please note that this information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. It is not intended to substitute for the advice of a qualified lawyer. If you require legal advice, please consult with a qualified lawyer. If you need assistance in contacting a lawyer, you may email us at [email protected] and we would be glad to match you with a lawyer who meets your requirements.

Showing 1 result
error: Content is protected !!