29 Mar Legal Risks involved in running a website
Running a website in Nigeria
There are a number of steps you need to put in place to manage the legal risks involved with having a website.
- It sets out any restrictions on use of the information on your website,
- It deals with issues of intellectual property of the content of the website
- It normally sets out limitation of liability and includes disclaimers and warranties etc.
- What information is collected
- How the information which is collected is used
- How the information is stored
- Circumstances where the information can be transferred to 3rd parties
- Whether cookies are used on the site and to what extent
Also important from a liability perspective, is if the nature of the service or the product you offer is only licensed or applicable in certain jurisdictions, you need to ensure you put in place technical features like ‘geo-fencing’, age barriers etc. to ensure that only eligible website visitors can access your website. There is case law (admittedly not yet in Nigeria) of governments and regulators suing websites for not putting in place enough technical measures to restrict ineligible individuals from accessing websites.
Thank you for reading this post, if you have found it useful please share with your network using one of the share buttons below. If you have any suggestions or feedback, please send us an email at [email protected]
We hope you have found this information helpful. Please note that this information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. This answer is not intended to substitute for the advice of a qualified lawyer. If you require legal advice, please consult with a qualified lawyer. If you would like to find out more about a consultation with one of the lawyers in our network regarding a legal issue you are experiencing, you can use the free tool below to get an estimate.
How much will my Legal Consultation cost?
Estimate the cost of receiving a consultation with the lawyers in our network
Thanks, we will contact you soon
Please enter your first name
Please enter your email address
Profile of Lawyer
How many years of experience do you want in your lawyer?
Type of Consultation
How would you prefer the consultation to be given?