How to make a complaint to Ikeja Electric

How to make a Complaint to Ikeja Electric


The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission is an independent body, established by the Electricity Act 2023 (originally established under Electric Power Sector Reform Act of 2005) as the regulator of the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry. One of its major functions is to ensure the safety, security, reliability and quality of service in the production and delivery of electricity to consumers.

The Ikeja Electric (IE) is licensed by the NERC to distribute electricity to the homes and offices of the parts of Lagos State including Abule Egba, Akowonjo, Ikeja, Ikorodu, Oshodi, and Shomolu


How to make a complaint

If as a customer you are are unsatisfied with the service by the IE, you have a right to make a complaint directly to the IE. Issues you can make a complaint about include things like not having a functioning meter, disputing your electricity bill, illegal disconnection of your electricity, failure to fix a faulty transformer or other electricity related equipment, etc.

Before going into the complaint process, it is important to note and for you to be aware of that IE is legally prohibited from just coming to your residence and disconnecting your electricity without notice. Even in instances where you are owing your electricity bill. To be clear, they do have a right to disconnect your electricity in certain circumstances – but to exercise that right they must first give you written notice that they will be disconnecting your electricity. They can’t surprise you with it.

Also, you should know that it is not the responsibility of electricity customer or the community to buy, replace or repair electricity transformers, poles and related equipment used in the supply of electricity. So, if your transformer blows, it is not your duty to replace it.

The first step in making a complaint is to complain directly to IE. You can do this by completing and submitting the form located on their website here –, if you do not want to complete the form – either because the issue is very urgent or because you would prefer to submit a complaint through other means, you can call their Customer Care Lines on 01-7000-250, 01-227-2940; or you can send your complaint via email to; or even go in person to make a complaint at their office –  3 Obafemi Awolowo Way, Alausa, Ikeja, Lagos.

When submitting your complaint, remember many complaints are successfully resolved between IE and the customer, and so you should give as much detail and information to them to enable them to properly review and attempt to resolve your complaint. However, it is important that in making your complaint, you keep a detailed account of the problem, including:

  • Dates of contact with IE,
  • Details about your complaint (e.g. timeline of events),
  • Copies of all correspondence and bills,
  • Names of people you’ve spoken to (if possible).


Escalating and appealing unresolved complaints to NERC

Where you are unsatisfied with the resolution proposed by IE or they do not sufficiently respond to the complaint, you have a right to escalate the complaint to the NERC Forum Office within the coverage area of IE.

The Ikeja Forum Office is located at Novel House, Plot 3, Block J, Otunda Jobifele Way, Alausa CDA, Ikeja, Lagos State. You can also reach them by phone on 08106807298 or by email:

This is not the final escalation available, and so if you are unhappy with the resolution by the NERC Forum Office, you can further appeal by writing a petition to the NERC, and submitting your to the Customer Complaints Unit, NERC by email at , or by telephone at 09 462 1414 & 09 462 1424

Finally, another option is to consider making a complaint to the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission in Nigeria, our article here explains the process.



Request a Legal Assessment



This is for people who are unable to afford a lawyer

Get Free Legal Support


We hope you have found this information helpfulPlease note that this information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. This answer is not intended to substitute for the advice of a qualified lawyer. If you require legal advice, please consult with a qualified lawyer.

error: Content is protected !!