13 Jun Employees’ Compensation Act 2011
About the Law
This Act of the Federal Republic of Nigeria repeals the Workmen’s Compensation Act Cap. W6, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2004. It makes comprehensive provisions for payment of compensation to employees who suffer from occupational diseases or sustain injuries arising from accident at workplace or in the course of their employment.
Some key provisions:
- Makes the law applicable to all employers and employees in both the public and private sector in Nigeria
- Makes all members of the Armed forces (except those employed in a civilian capacity) exempt from the provisions of the law
- Establishes the National Social Insurance Trust Fund Management Board (the Board)
- Lays out the procedure for making a claim – notice must be giving within 14 days of the occurrence of the injury, occupational disease, or death
- Employer in turn to report this to the Board within 7 days
- Provides for the types of injuries individuals can claim compensation for
- Makes any agreement between the employer and employee to waive the rights provided
You can read the full provisions of the Act here – Employees Compensation Act 2011
NB- the document reads Employee Compensation Act 2010 because that is the year it was passed by the Legislature, it was signed into Law by the President in 2011.
Thank you for reading this post, if you have found it useful please share with your network using one of the share buttons below. If you have any suggestions or feedback, please send us an email at [email protected]
We hope you have found this information helpful. Please note that this information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. This answer is not intended to substitute for the advice of a qualified lawyer. If you require legal advice, please consult with a qualified lawyer. If you would like to find out more about a consultation with one of the lawyers in our network, you can use the free tool below to get an estimate.
How much will my Legal Consultation cost?
Estimate the cost of receiving a consultation with the lawyers in our network
Thanks, we will contact you soon
Please enter your first name
Please enter your email address
Profile of Lawyer
How many years of experience do you want in your lawyer?
Type of Consultation
How would you prefer the consultation to be given?