evicting a tenant in nigeria

01 Mar Can I Evict a Tenant without a court order?


I have a tenant that I wish to remove because he has been owing for almost 7 months and bills. I took him to court and he was given time to leave and pay. Time is up. Now he is telling me he doesn’t have money and he’ll stay an extra month before leaving. My lawyer feels we should go back to court, I don’t want to go to court because court takes time, money and energy. Can I call the police to have his things removed ? Is there any other way I can go about this without going back to court?




The laws regarding recovery of premises from a tenant are quite stringent, and vary from State to State. However, to answer your question, your lawyer is absolutely correct, you cannot recover the premises any other way except by court order.

However, from what you have described the process should be fairly straightforward seeing as the court had initially given your tenant time to leave and pay. Your lawyer will have to institute a claim for recovery of possession of the property, and the evidence which you will put forward is non-payment of the rent and non-vacation of premises after the initial court order.

Please remember to always act within the confines of the law, if you take any action outside of it, your tenant can turn around and sue you.

Thank you for reading this post, if you have found it useful please share with your network using one of the share buttons below. Also, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER HERE TO BE UPDATED IN CASE THERE ARE ANY CHANGES IN THE ARTICLE YOU HAVE JUST READ DUE TO A CHANGE IN LAW.

If you have any suggestions or feedback from this article or ideas on future articles you think we should research and write, please send us an email at [email protected]

We hope you have found this information helpfulPlease note that this information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. It is not intended to substitute for the advice of a qualified lawyer. If you require legal advice, please consult with a qualified lawyer. If you need assistance in contacting a lawyer, you may complete the form below and we would be glad to match you with a lawyer who meets your requirements.


Choose Legal service required

How would you prefer to be contacted?

Where are you contacting us from?


No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.