18 Jun 8 Strange Nigerian Laws
For a bit of fun, we at LawPàdí decided to dig into the Nigerian Law statute books and our case law to find some weird and strange laws that we believe are still applicable in modern day Nigeria.
- Under Nigerian Law, a wife of a Christian marriage is not criminally responsible for an act which she is actually compelled by her husband to do in his presence, except if it’s an offence punishable with death, or one in which grievous harm to the person of another, or an intention to cause such harm, is an element – Criminal Code Act
- It is illegal to paint a private car in the colour known colloquially as ‘army green’ – Army Colour (Prohibition of Use) Act
- in Nigeria, advertising a reward for the return of stolen or lost property and stating that no question will be asked, or that the person producing such property will not be seized or molested is illegal – Criminal Code Act
- The position of the law in Nigeria is that an individual can go to court to seek an order preventing someone from going about claiming that he/she and that individual are married…it’s called ‘jactitation of marriage’ – Matrimonial Causes Act
- Under Nigerian Law, whenever a male person who in the opinion of the court has not attained 17 years of age has been found guilty of any offence the court may, in its discretion, order him to be caned in addition to or in substitution for any other punishments to which he is liable. – Criminal Code Act
- Another interesting and strange situation under Nigerian Law, is the fact that an individual can sue his/her former partner for breach of promise to marry – Ezeanah v. Atta (2004) 7 NWLR (Pt. 873)
- Any person who by his statements or actions represents himself to be a witch or to have the power of witchcraft; is guilty of misdemeanour and is liable to imprisonment for two years – Criminal Code Act
- A person is not deemed to have killed another, if the death of that other person does not take place within a year and a day of the cause of death. – Criminal Code Act
Thank you for reading this post, if you have found it useful please share with your network using one of the share buttons below. If you have any suggestions or feedback, please send us an email at [email protected]
We hope you have found this information helpful. Please note that this information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. No lawyer-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. This answer is not intended to substitute for the advice of a qualified lawyer. If you require legal advice, please consult with a qualified lawyer. If you would like to find out more about a consultation with one of the lawyers in our network regarding a legal issue you are experiencing, you can use the free tool below to get an estimate.
How much will my Legal Consultation cost?
Estimate the cost of receiving a consultation with the lawyers in our network
Thanks, we will contact you soon
Please enter your first name
Please enter your email address
Profile of Lawyer
How many years of experience do you want in your lawyer?
Type of Consultation
How would you prefer the consultation to be given?